
This is our Weeping Higan Cherry (Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula'). This a true form, not grafted like you see in a lot of people's yards. Grafting is when the trunk of a mature tree is cut, and then the weeping part of a higan cherry is grown on top of where the cut was made. They normally don't grow very tall because the tree has been somewhat stunted in growth. Many people purchase these grafted trees because they want an instant weeping tree. If you have ever witnessed the beauty of true weeping cherry, you'd agree that it is worth the wait. This tree is about 6 years old, and is just starting to send out blooms. It is quite hard to find a true weeping cherry, and we drove to Carrol Gardens in Maryland to find this one. When we bought it, is was almost 1 foot tall, and had been slightly mangled. We called it our Charlie Brown tree, because what it really needed was a lot of love. Last year I think I counted 12 blooms. This year there are almost too many to count. This is one of my favorite trees. I love it's weeping growth, and I love the way branches create layers of height..almost like clouds. Very few trees can compare with a mature Weeping Higan in full bloom. I suppose it will take a while for our little tree to get full size..but we look forward to every day it does.
No comments:
Post a Comment