Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Happy 100th !!
We celebrated the 100th birthday of Olive Power over Labor Day weekend. That would be Jeanne's grandmother, and Robert's great grandmother. The adventures started on Friday as we found ourselves packing last minute for all the odds and ends needed to keep a 18mos old and his mom happy. I say odds and ends, because I really in my wildest imagination can't begin to imagine all the things that go into those suitcases. For me, it's simple..a razor, a pair of boxers, and a couple of shirts. Somewhere in there we manage to pack the allowable weight limit for each suitcase. There were a total of three suitcases packed, but one never made it. It was left sitting right behing the front door where me (Mr. ADD) left it sitting. Oh yeah, so after arriving at the airport parking garage I was suddenly aware of our predicament. We decided to power on, and not worry about what could be in there. Fortunately our bet paid off, and it was only 50lbs of Robert's toys and my boxers. OK, so moving on, we get to security....and have to dump the contents of Robert's water bottle into the trash. I was surprised that we didn't have to change his diaper...if any of those security guards only knew what damage lurks in those diapers. So we press on.

The plane is full, and we sit on the runway for an extra 20 mins. Humm, that is about the total amount of time I have for my first act. We read, and I improvise all the voices over all the Thomas the Trains characters. At this point, I can still cheat and repeat many of the versus over and over again, since Robert still likes the story line. Once airborne, we start up the portable DVD player, aka the miracle. We fall back on this nice little piece of technology in situations like this where nothing else will do. And it works...for a while. Before landing we have to turn it off, and this is where it gets tricky to keep Robert happy. We finally get to the gate, and it's back to team work again. I fallback to collect all items under and around our seat while Jeanne takes Robert to the terminal.

We got to spend a couple of days around family. Julie, Randy, Stephanie, Matt, and Janie all came to Detroit. It was nice to get the whole gang, and spend time with everyone. I got to go to a Michigan State (Go Spartans!) -vs- Idaho game in East Lansing. This was compliments of my brother in law Rob. It was pretty cool tail gating, and seeing the game, since I never really did any of that as a student at Mason. The game was supposed to be a blowout, but it didn't end up that way. Either Idaho was a lot better than expected, or State played bad ball. Either way, it was nice to spend time with Rob, who is a very cool guy, and definitely set us up for a fun time.

Rob and Eric after Michigan State Game

The 100th party was on Sunday, and it was a good time for all. Jeanne comes from a very large Catholic family...very large. Her grandmother had 5 children, who had a total of 28 grandchildren, who had a total 56 great grandchildren. Wow, that adds up when you're throwing a party. I was designated photographer, and actually worked pretty hard not to miss a shot. I think I managed 300 pictures, and am very thankful for my digital camera. Some pictures from the party:

Grandma's Birthday Cake

The Waldron Clan

Even at 100 her mind is better than mine after an espresso on a Monday morning!!

The Doramae side of the Power Family.

The party was very nice. Lots of people, catching up on new gossip, and lots of little kids which made the experience so fun. Olive's daughters all gave a speech of sorts to thank their mother for all the wonderful memories, and for living such a great example of love and kindness. Olive even said a few words about how nice it was to see everyone, and that she hopes to see everyone again some day. She is a really sharp woman, and a beautiful gift to all that know her.

No comments: