Saturday, April 14, 2007





These are Southern Flying Squirrels, and the reason I have their picture up is because we have a couple of them that live in our yard. Robert and I were out for a walk in the woods, and happened upon one of the many birdhouses in our yard. We have many return guests to our birdhouses included House Wren (Troglodytes aedon), Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus), and House Sparrow (Passer domesticus). So it was quite a shock when we examined a house that appeared dormant, and Flying Squirrel jumped out and flew to a nearby tree. Another one stuck it's head out of the house, and then returned inside. Robert and I were surprised, and I was wondering if I made my espresso to strong this morning. But we watched the little guy climb an oak tree in the yard, and make a leap off a branch.....it flew about 25 feet to a nearby birdhouse, and then went inside. I thought it was fun enough to write about it. You can check out more information about Flying Squirrels at: http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/

No comments: